HistoryChartered in Maryland in 1994, the Kappa Youth Development, Inc. (KYD) operates as the philanthropic charitable arm of the Upper Marlboro/Waldorf (MD) Alumni Chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc. KYD received its Internal Revenue Service 501(c)(3) income tax-exempt certification in 1995.
MissionSince 1995, KYD has provided scholarships, youth initiatives, community health and wellness programs. KYD’s operations are divided into three areas:
- Kappa Kare® Community Health and Wellness Programs
- Healthy living for Men of Color and their families
- Senior Citizens and HIV awareness
- On 08/16/2012, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommended one-time testing without prior ascertainment of HCV (hepatitis -C) risk for persons born during 1945-1965 (baby boomers).
- Provide Scholarships (available to all students), as well as, focused on reading, math and life skills.
- Operates a local branch of the National Kappa League and Diamonds in the Rough of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc.
Vice President & Scholarship Chairman
Audit Committee Chairman
Bro. Otis Adkins
Bylaws Committee Chairman
Andel I. Owens