As one of the most historic organizations comprised mainly of African American men, the Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc. has established itself as a leading voice of influence to bringing about the large scale social and systemic changes needed to improve the outcomes and lives of young people in underserved communities throughout America in the form of advocacy and program support. Through an expansion of this organization, the Upper Marlboro/Waldorf (MD) Alumni Chapter and the Kappa Youth Development Foundation, Inc commits to the same ideals and principles through its efforts in serving those in the communities of Charles and Prince George’s County, Maryland
HistoryChartered in Maryland in 1994, the Kappa Youth Development, Inc. (KYD) operates as the philanthropic charitable arm of the Upper Marlboro/Waldorf (MD) Alumni Chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc. KYD received its Internal Revenue Service 501(c)(3) income tax-exempt certification in 1995.
MissionSince 1995, KYD has provided scholarships, youth initiatives, community health and wellness programs. KYD’s operations are divided into three areas:
- Kappa Kare® Community Health and Wellness Programs
- Healthy living for Men of Color and their families
- Senior Citizens and HIV awareness
- On 08/16/2012, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommended one-time testing without prior ascertainment of HCV (hepatitis -C) risk for persons born during 1945-1965 (baby boomers).
- Provide Scholarships (available to all students), as well as, focused on reading, math and life skills.
- Operates a local branch of the National Kappa League and Diamonds in the Rough of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc.
Vice President & Scholarship Chairman
Audit Committee Chairman
Bro. Otis Adkins
Bylaws Committee Chairman
Board of Directors
Andel I. Owens